Boblo's original name was Etiowiteedannenti (a name from the Huron Indians who once lived there). The French later occupied the island, calling it BOis Blanc (for the "White Wood" of the trees that stood there). In 1898, the island was opened up as a recreational destination (as a picnic and park area) and visitors began to call it "Boblo Island" - the name was officially adopted in 1929.
Copyright © 1996-2002 Russell M. Van Tassell
All Rights Reserved.