822 Lake Avenue
Bristol, Connecticut 06010
This park opened to the public in 1846 with such niceties as walking
paths, a bandstand, picnic tables and rowboats. In 1846, a trolley
line was brought into the park. The first coaster (Green Dragon)
was buil in 1914 but replaced in 1927.
Rides and Pastimes...
The Wildcat (1927)
This coaster is a classic example of the Golden Age of coasters, built
by the Philadephia Toboggan Company. It was completely refurbished in
1985 by Charles Dinn - the deteriorated wood was replaced, board by
board, with pressure treated, long leaf yellow pine and 300 feet of
steel-banded track. Though a small coaster by today's standards, the
combination of wood and two high-banked fan curves make for a fast
paced, intense ride. The first drop is just shy of eighty feet high
and the ride time is fifty two seconds.
Copyright © 1996-2002 Russell M. Van Tassell
All Rights Reserved.